The Selyemrét Bath has been completely renewed by July 2013. Thanks to the extensions the open-air Baths now receives guests in a 3.5-hectare park area with 6 pools of a combined water surface of 2728 square metres offering a range of new wellness services for undisturbed relaxation. The Bath is supplied with water from two large-volume thermal wells of a temperature of 43-45 ºC, which are fed by karst water reserves dating back to 9000 years ago, as it was established by the radiocarbon dating method.
You can enjoy again the massaging water jets at the renewed Selyemrét bath complex and have fun on the 3 new slides or in the 25-metre learners’ pool, the warm sitting pool offering bubble baths and the children’s pool enriched with play-enhancing elements, in addition to the 50-metre swimming pool operating all throughout the year. The new baths boast with a wonderful park ideal for relaxation which, thanks to its accessibility design assures barrier-free movement for the disabled as well.
The rebirth of the Selyemrét Pools and Thermal Bath by the summer of 2013 gives us good reason to say: As a result of this new development the city’s first open-air pool and bath have regained their original lustre, since this open-air pool used to bring state-of-the-art facilities to the public of the city of Miskolc in 1927, when it was originally opened.
Alfréd Hajós and the ’Villanytelepi’
It was in the first part of the 1920s that the city authorities decided to establish a city open air bath in addition to the already almost a hundred-year-old Tapolcafürdő (Tapolca Baths) operating as part of the independent neighbouring settlement, Görömböly and the city public bath built between 1892 and 1893 called Erzsébetfürdő to make Miskolc renowned as a city of baths. The concept underlying the decision was to use waste heat from the power plant generating continuous current for the electric tramways, commonly referred to as’villanytelep’ could be used to warm water for the swimming pool. This is the origin of the traditional name, ’villanytelepi strand’ (power plant open-air bath) well known to locals and still commonly used. The architect Alfréd Hajós was commissioned to prepare plans for the new establishment, who won the first Olympic gold medals for Hungary in swimming at the Athens games in 1896, and not long before this commission, received 2nd prize in the Art competitions held as part of the 1924 Summer Olympics in Paris for the plan of a sports stadium (prepared in cooperation with Dezső Lauber), where the 1st prize was not awarded. Alfréd Hajós’ best known work is the sports swimming pool in Margit-sziget in Budapest, and the Debrecen Aranybika Hotel is also well known to have been designed by him but it is less known that he also made the plans for several buildings in Miskolc. These include Hitelintézeti Palota (1913) in the main street, the Lichtenstein-palota (1912) at 5 Hunyadi street opposite the Music Palace, the Weidlich-palota (1912) also in the main street, Népkerti Vigadó (with the modification of the original building planned by Károly Ádler in 1927 and the connected, now non-existent sports complex and, of course, the main building of the ’villanytelepi strand’.